Disclaimer

The information and comments on this site are intended for educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a physician. These suggested uses apply only to the use of therapeutic grade, Young Living essential oils.

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

lemon + peroxide = bleach

You know that laugh when you're so surprised by something that you almost sound like you're crazy? Okay, well that's me right now. I am so surprised! I just washed my white flannel sheets (with a chocolate brown toile print) that were looking so dingy that I was ready to get rid of them. I actually went sheet shopping yesterday but didn't find anything, so I just took them off to wash them...again.



I tried using a lot of lemon oil (I can, because it's so cheap!) and I'm thrilled with these results. 

I washed them once and wasn't happy. I washed a second time and used 30 drops of lemon oil mixed in with my Thieves detergent, 1/2 cup of peroxide and a cup of Borax detergent booster. I know that's a lot of stuff I used, but man--have you seen the price of sheets? TMI here, but I'm sure you can handle it... My sheets were almost brown from getting in them with a ton of carrier oil rubbed on me with a day's worth of dirt and filth on my body... Hee hee. (Well? I gotsta tell it like it is!! Best to stay away from white flannel sheets from now on! Lol)  


I wasn't expecting this. I was really not expecting this result. They are gleaming white and they smell SO good. Fantastic! I'm very happy. I guess I fight oil (stains) WITH oil. **Super washing soda is another thing you can use in place of Borax detergent booster, if you prefer.**

I had been saving the above graphic to share with the multi puprose power powder for a series on Spring cleaning, but I think you should know about it now! It's good information! I love using a few drops of lemon when I use this multi-function powder to scrub my sinks & tubs. It's also the base for simple cleaners that work on glass cooktops, stoves, grills and tons of other things and smells like happy, sunny freshness. Just sprinkle your powder and add a tiny bit of peroxide (until it foams) and you a have heaven scent, safer, natural bleach alternative! ;-)





 Here's a before and after photo of a mattress my friend Monique wanted to save after her grandchild had an accident. She used 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide and 5 drops of Young Living lemon in a spray bottle and was able to make it clean, white and fresh smelling again! You could even put something like that into a roller bottle...








I'd also like to let you know that I found that saving the mixing of the lemon oil and peroxide together until I'm ready to use it works better for me. Might be just an idea, but I do believe when the two of them come in contact they have a reaction causing the bleaching effect.

If you'd like to learn more about Young Living Lemon Essential oil, Thieves detergent or learn more about Young Living in general, start here.

If you'd like to learn more about ways to reduce chemicals in your laundry, here are several:

Laundry post 1 ways to reduce fabric softener and why you want to
Laundry post 2 laundry scenting spray
Laundry post 3 DIY super washing soda with baking soda






Follow along with our blog by liking us on Facebook. We have lots of DIY recipes to share with you. :-)

No comments: