Disclaimer

The information and comments on this site are intended for educational purposes only. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a physician. These suggested uses apply only to the use of therapeutic grade, Young Living essential oils.

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Organic & all natural sun protection - part two!


There were some FABULOUS alternative recipes shared in our blog post Organic & all natural sun protection, and here are a few more ideas to consider. If you have not read that, please read that first! We don't want you miss out on important safety tips. Thanks again to TLC One Drop At A Time for the ideas and support! 

Did you know that most oils in general provide some SPF?



This photo shows approximate Sun Protection Factors of many natural oils. *Note - carrot seed oil is NOT carrot seed essential oil! But, I discovered that when protecting myself from the sun it didn't really matter. 

My own experiment last year using carrot seed essential oil mixed with coconut oil proved to me that the two of them alone are not even close to enough protection for my fair skin. So this year I wanted to test...everything! And I did test a bunch, and learned one important thing: The majority of sun protection will come from adding non-nano zinc oxide. :-) If nothing else, you need to get that product!

I had a little reading to do, so I sectioned off my stomach into 9 areas to conduct some seriously "official research". My husband laughed his @$$ off, BTW. And he is still laughing...


Instead of playing tic tac toe like he wanted, I labeled each section and applied the corresponding sun protection. Numbers 1-4 had the zinc oxide. ;-)


After an hour and a half in the sun, I peeled the tape off. Take a good look...I did this for you!

After 15 minutes I wiped off any excess. All for you...


And 4 hours later this is what we have. I bet you're wondering what was used! Scroll down...


#1 Body Butter + non-nano zinc oxide
#2 Solid body balm (we used our lip balm recipe!) + non-nano zinc oxide
#3 Coconut oil + carrot seed essential oil + non-nano zinc oxide
#4 Olive oil + non-nano zinc oxide
#5 straight Carrot seed Essential oil (item #3081)
#6 straight Helichrysum Essential Oil (item #3563)
#7 straight carrot seed oil (tested the worst)
#8 straight red raspberry seed oil (will use this in other skin recipes)
#9 Coconut oil + Carrot seed Essential oil


So, what I learned from this is that you do not have to spend a lot of money for safe and natural protection from the sun! The simple addition of non-nano zinc oxide is all that we really need. So, get some!

We don't have to do much for the base product, either. If we want to create a 
body butter for it, great! A solid balm, woohoo! But we don't have to. We can mix non-nano zinc oxide into coconut oil (which liquefies at 74-76 degrees, anyway) or we can put it into ANY liquid oil.



I first put my liquid sunscreen in a dropper bottle, but it's hella convenient in a roll-on bottle! ;-)

Absolutely, yes, you can add Young Living Essential Oils to any recipe to provide additional skin support. I added about 20 drops of lavender to my sun protection body balm solid (in the deodorant tube) and it's a delight to smell as well as effective protection from the sun.


These links connect you to the Anointed By Abba Amazon store to buy everything you'd need to DIY your own natural sun protection, however you choose to do that:

DIY ROLL ONS, SERUMS & CARRIERS  

LOTION: BARS, BRICKS, BALMS-the waxes, tins & tubes, AND LOTION & SOAP PUMP DISPENSERS 
(includes deoderant tubes on p. 5)

BODY BUTTER INGREDIENT FAVES (includes zinc oxide)



If you have questions about making body butter or balm products, I suggest re-reading the first all natural sun protection blog. Otherwise, feel free to comment! Just remember...I DID IT ALL FOR YOU! (
I learned a lot by reading the Q & A section on the non nano zinc oxide, btw)

If you haven't already, please like our Facebook page! You can also sign up to receive our blog by email and share with friends not on social media. Look for the box toward the top of the blog on the right side. God bless!



Would you like to be a part of the shift away from lab-created junk, and toward all that is instinctually good? Join Young Living as part of the Anointed By Abba team. We are helping to change statistics, friends! If you'd just like to hear about our $25 back offer when you order your Young Living Premium Starter Kit (which gets you 24% off your future orders) you can start here, too. It's also a great place to check out why quality matters and why ours is unmatched. 




17 comments:

collinsKeys said...

wow...this is a 'show and tell' method, saving us some time. I had made my DIY sunscreen with carrot seed EO but did not have enough testing opportunities last summer....must add the non-nano zinc oxide. thanks.

Anointed by Abba said...

You're welcome! I tried last summer and was disappointed. :-( This feels much better. I'm going to save a lot of money, save a lot of toxins and DANG, this sunscreen smells good!! πŸ˜‚ Thank you for your comment!

Anointed by Abba said...

Just to clarify, I tested the carrot seed & coconut oil alone last year & was disappointed. I didn't have to waste the mixture though...I just added the NNZO to it. πŸ˜„ God bless our EO - keeps our stuff fresh! 😁

Unknown said...

Is this the the type zinc oxide you need to be careful about inhaling (when mixing it)? I've only read other recipes for using zinc oxide in some sunscreens and most mentioned being careful about inhaling it...

Anointed by Abba said...

Great question! NO zinc oxide should be inhaled. Lol. We want non-nano zinc oxide because nano particles are so tiny, they may may be able to penetrate the skin. So the answer to your question is yes, but that's true for any zinc oxide. :-)

Andrea E said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrea E said...

How well do these work when swimming? How often should you reapply?

Kathy said...

Can you use zinc oxide in a spray sunscreen? Do you need to "melt" it into the carrier oils?

Anointed by Abba said...

Hi Andrea. 😊 Thanks for your question. I'd say you should apply frequently, because it's only going to stay on as long as the oil.

Anointed by Abba said...

In an above thread, Kathy commented: Can you use zinc oxide in a spray sunscreen? Do you need to "melt" it into the carrier oils?

It's a great question Kathy. Since I had a conversation with you on another group page in Facebook, I'm going to copy and paste the important information here in the blog comments in case someone else has the same question. :-)

Kathy: This is where the zinc oxide idea came from, but she puts hers in a body butter Kristina. Did you use it in a spray bottle?

Anointed By Abba: I did a solid stick and a roll-on. I love that idea! I'm not sure a spray would work as well, only because the NNZO gets really chunky... But it might work in a large sprayer. I was just using my DIY dusting spray today, which has no large particles in it, just oil, and it was difficult to get it out of the fine mist sprayer. But, hey if you can get it to come out?!? Wooohoo!! Yes!!

Be careful with that stuff - so nobody inhales particles, OK?

Kathy: Thank you. Do you suggest a mask?

Anointed By Abba: I didn't use one. I just brought it up because the first thing I think when I hear that it's 'chunky' (and it does clump at the bottom of the roller when it's settled) is to run it through the food processor. Probably NOT a good idea and I think it'd be irresponsible to not say that.

Kathy: Thank you. I appreciate it. I did read that somewhere though, not to inhale it.

Anointed By Abba: Ok. I love your idea! Let me know how it goes. :-)



MommyJoc said...

This is fabulous! I've been wanting to test out different sunscreen recipes, but you did it for us! Thanks for making yourself the guinea pig (now I don't have to!) - I'll be sharing this :).

Melissa Van Donselaar said...

I recently created a DIY sunscreen/bug spray with the animal ointment from young living. I added carrot seed and citronella oils. I got burnt bad. Adding the zinc would make it better? Will it make my skin white like a paste? I'm definitely adding some lavender as well!

Anointed by Abba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anointed by Abba said...

Hi Melissa. I'm so sorry that happened! YES, non nano zinc oxide is the way to go. That's what this blog is all about. πŸ˜„Yes, it can get pasty white when it's mixed, depending on how strong you make your sun protection and what you put it in. There are photos in the blog that should give you an idea of how white each one gets. We tested several base creams/oils. Be careful out there!!!

Aimee Hilbrands said...

How often do you need to reapply?

Deserie Britton said...

What is the SPF of the first 3 you made? I have a red head who gets easily burned. Can this be stored in a class jar instead of a roll on or deodorant tube so it's easier to apply kinda like a lotion? Is this safe for my kids as well. My youngest is 20 months old. Thank you very much

Anointed by Abba said...

Aimee--reapply as often as with conventional sunscreen. :-) Every couple of hours, and more if you think you need it. I found it super effective for me to use one good coat for 2 hours in Arizona and I swam. :-) Plus my skin wasn't all dried out and creepy. It was plump!

Desiree, each of there recipes I made were abour 20 SPF. :-) You can increase the SPF with a higher ratio of NNZOxide. Instead of adding 1/4 of the weight of the carrier (whether it's a balm, butter or liquid) maybe try 1/3 of the weight. So 1/3 c of NNZO per cup of body butter. That should get you about a 30 SPF. On a side note, I recommend checking where it is that SPF no longer matters....I think once you pass 30 SPF, say 70 and 100 SPF...they don't really offer more protection. The SPF number maxed out somewhere and I apologize I don't know off hand what it is. Thank you for commenting ladies!